What is the significance of a title? This is not a very obvious question and I am sure that for even the newest of the bloggers, the significance of a “Title” is a known thing.
But there are certain other aspects to this question. When I say, “Significance” it could mean,
- the way a title influences the post,
- the role that a title has to play in getting traffic,
- the appearance of an ideal title.
What is the influence of a title on the post? If the content in the post is of value why should somebody be bothered about the title. Good thought. But the fact is that if the title is not “catchy”, the blog post content is ignored. Yes, it is a fact.
The blogosphere is full of blogs on the same topic and the same niche. There are numerous directories and bookmarking sites that have tens of thousands of blogs on the same topic. When I feel like reading some good content, I go to one of these directories, choose a topic and browse through the various blogs posted there. What is the thumb rule to follow to select the posts of relevance and importance? I am short of time and when I browse through these directories, I spend barely a few seconds through scan through a blog to check if the content is relevant. When I have only a few seconds, the first thing to to attract me is the title of the blog post. If the “Title” is catchy and is relevant, then the blog content is relevant for me. Else I prefer to move on.
It is hence that the title plays a very important role in getting traffic to your blog. A good and significant title to your blog post could increase the flow of readers to your blog. When something is so significant that it gets you traffic, then a bit of research can come in handy.
Keyword research can help you formulate a good title for your blog. Don’t panic at the term “Keyword research”. You don’t need to research keywords for your title alone. The research that you did initially to get a handful of tags for your posts is enough. Pick the most relevant keyword from your blog post – preferably a long tail keyword with about 4-5 words in it. Frame a short sentence out of it and your “title” is ready.
If your are wondering about the relation between “keywords” and “titles of the blog post”, then we will have to discuss a blog design structure in detail to understand it. But in short, most of the blog designs use an “h1″ or, “h2″ tag for the blog title. In SEO, the relevance of a keyword in an h1 tag is very high and very important as well. When you create a title with your primary keyword, you are putting you keyword into the h1 tag and this in a way can be called as a small step towards getting your blogs rank higher in search engines.
Join Our 5 Day Crash Course on Affiliate Marketing
“What to blog on?” is a vast topic and can take pages and days, if you trigger a discussion. But notable is the fact that more or, less most of the successful blogs cover almost the same topics or, are variants of a similar topic. Because most of us are afraid of taking risks, we too, tend to flow with the current and opt for a similar topic to blog on. But how would you sustain and grow your blog in such a competitive environment? What are the strategies you would adopt if you are to stay on top in such a jungle?
Success inÂ competitive environment comes with following the basics, which you can otherwise call as the ground rules. You need not invent the wheel. Just follow the basics to the core and your blog would get traffic and readers and would reach the top.
What are these basics? I would advice only 3 simple steps to be successful in blogging.
- Research – Whatever said would not be enough on this aspect. Success comes with research. Research your keywords, your niche within the broad topic that you are blogging on, content for your blogs etc. etc. Your content will give value to your readers only if it is well researched and written. It is your readers who would take your blog to the top position. So you have to give them value in your content. Adequately researched topics would have value in the sense that it would provide accurate information and tips to your readers.
- Content freshness – Update your blog regularly. Fresh content is what attracts readers. Don’t just keep writing about the same thing again and again. Provide content that adds value. For eg: if your blog is about cricket, don’t just write about the current matches and scores. Consider writing about how to choose the right bat or, how to grip the ball. The content that you write on can be off your regular topic, once in a while, but till the time that is a valuable read for your readers, it is fine.
- Promotion – Promote your blog in all forms. When I say promotion, I do not mean promoting it by doing a PPC ad. I would never do that. There are many other ways to promote your blog -
- Social Networking sites like twitter, facebook, myspace etc. is what I prefer the most. Join them and participate actively in the conversations and you would gain quite a few readers.
- Commenting on other blogs is what I prefer the next. Follow the basics of commenting and if your comments are valuable, you would get a good amount of traffic from this.
- Article Marketing is another preferred way of getting readers and traffic. Write about 5-7 articles on the same topic as your blog and submit it to the article directories. Leave a link to your blog and your would see traffic coming in.
I have ensured that I follow these basics to the core and have been able to get serious readers to all my blogs till date. And because I enjoy researching and writing, I have not had to push myself into doing any of these, rather it comes naturally.